2022 - Reflections on my journey in the SCA, so far...

 


In 2016, I began my journey in the SCA.  At first I was a reluctant participant, going to show support for my children as they looked into a variety of activities for fun.  It didn't take long before I was convinced to get into loaner armor and fell in love with fighting.  My kids eventually chose to focus their time and energy on cosplay, while I directed my time and efforts towards this new found hobby.  Fast forward 6 years later, and I'm now squired and apprenticed to Duke Cellach, I've transitioned from a 9th century Norwegian (Viking) kit to a 1350's Norwegian kit.  In that time, I've learned hand sewing, embroidery, weapon crafting, shield making and painting, armoring techniques, all about the chivalric virtues, and so much more. In October 2018, I wrote a post examining what my goals for the SCA were, and recently I re-read that post and thought I'd take a moment to re-examine those goals.  I said:

"I’ve been considering all of these things for some time now, and my goal at this time is to become better.  I don’t mean at fighting or crafting, but generally just become a better man.  Over the past two years I’ve been attempting to just improve myself a little bit at a time.  Be more patient.  Push myself to be more active.  Fight a little bit longer.  Walk a little bit farther.  Lift a bit heavier.  Spend more time with my kids.  Set aside time for my wife.  Share time with others I care about. Be present.  I just want to be a better person.  More positive, less negative.  Worry less.  Have fun."

First, I've had an incredible amount of fun and am looking forward to so much more fun in my future!  Am I better?  I'd like to think so.  In the time since I wrote that, I've changed jobs to a healthier work environment, moved, spent more time with my kids, come out as non-binary and pansexual and been diagnosed with spinal stenosis (on top of all my other medical issues).  My crafting has advanced some, and my fighting...well that is still a work in progress.  My relationship with my wife evolved, changing from the more stereotypical romantic, marriage dynamic to more of a co-habitating/co-parenting dynamic.  While this was a drastic change, we still very much love each other in our way, and have chosen to be a united front in raising our children and doing our best to support them.  I think this has helped me grow as a person.  

We've survived a pandemic, been through a housing crisis and are still dealing with a financial and human rights crisis here in the United States of America, none of which has made life easier.  I'm preparing myself now to attend my first Pennsic War in less than a month. Is my goal still the same?  I resoundingly still have the desire to continue to be better at all things.  Fighting is still a focus, but I realize now that my progress is going to be slower than most, as I'm often fighting my own body more than my opponent's. My physical conditioning is coming along, it still isn't great but I'm working on it. My 14th century armor kit is finally put together, and I'm happy with it.   Stamina is a goal for me, as well as being able to manage heat better (limited by some medications I'm required to take).  As a squire, I've found great joy in fighting alongside my knight and household.  It has given me an opportunity to experience friendships to a depth I hadn't dreamt of.  While my becoming an apprentice is fairly recent, it has added a focus on exploring and advancing my skills as a craftsperson and artist.  It has afforded me the opportunity to teach a little, and to aid others in their own efforts, which is extremely fulfilling. 

So, have my goals changed...I would say that I've expanded, but not really changed.  I still want to be a better person, to continue to find happiness and joy in all the things, to create and inspire, to struggle and succeed.  I can only hope that in another 5-6 years that I can revisit this post and see a little more progress. 



Comments