SCA 14th Century Heraldic Kidney pouch

 

14th Century Heraldic Kidney pouch

In order to have a more complete looking kit, I decided to upgrade my belt pouch so that I had a period style pouch to carry my wallet, phone and Epipens in at events.  A basic kidney pouch shape was easy enough to draw up on some bright pink poster board I had.  The top flap and back of the shell of this pouch is the same leather (7-8oz tooling leather) while the front of the pouch is 4-5oz navy blue leather I picked up on sale. 
Half of the back pouch template.

After getting a rough out design template made, I cut my leather and began the tooling process.  I decided I was going to try to do a heraldic design featuring my blue and white lozengy and my Columbine Flower on the front. I then would paint it all with some acrylic paint and then dye it black and seal it with resolene. 

Cut and stamped leather design on front flap

Dye is going on along the edging.

Decided to cover the whole piece in dye then paint over top of it.

Once I finished with the flap it was time to create the main body pouch which is done by sewing the front of the navy blue leather to a side piece of navy blue to add depth, then stitching that to the main body piece.  You can see the stitching here and that the main part is stitched inside out, then flipped right side out and stitched down to the body piece. 
Side of the pouch being sewn to the body.

The body being sewn to the back, please note the back strap has already been stitched on.

Binder clips work great to hold leather pieces in place while sewing.

Body stitched to back, lid still needs laced close.


Once the body of the pouch was all stitched together, I went ahead and began the painting process.  One thing I learned during this process was to allow more room for the hinging of the lid, as my paint is definitely going to crack as the crease is worn into this pouch due to my painted piece being on top of the part of the leather that also hinges the top lid.  To prevent this, I could allow a margin from the painted area to the hinge so that creases can develop in the leather along the margin.  Oh well, we learn as we go. 
White paint.

Painting the blue and purple.

Strapping sewn on the front and tested for fit.


I used some finger braided artificial sinew to lace the top line of the lid which forms the lower part of the belt loops.
Painting almost done, just need to add outline work in black.

Details of the flower; You can also see that I stitched a lining to the underside of the lid.

Back of the pouch; you can see a stamp from the brand on the leather.

The completed kidney pouch, creasing is already clearly visible along the paint.

When it was all completed, I realized it would be nice to have another pouch to use while in my fighting kit, as depicted in some effigies and manuscripts, so I through the following pouch together in a 1340's German style pouch:






Comments