SCA 14th Century Bascinet Helmet Padding

Recently I posted a picture online, which caused a few caring people to reach out to me in regards to my helmet padding (pictured below): 

This concern led me to triple check my padded, which was high quality EVA foam in thicknesses of 1/4" by my ears, 1/2"along the lower back, and 5/8" around the brow band and 1" at the center top of the helmet. Using a basic ruler I checked the latest version of the Midrealm Marshall's Armored Combat Handbook to confirm I was within regulations.  Per the handbook it requires that the parts of the helmet in contact with my head be padded with a minimum of 0.5 inch (12.7mm) of closed-cell foam or equivalent padding (Full regulations on padded as of 02 July, 2021 listed in green italics below).

All parts of the helm that might cause injurious contact with the wearer's head shall be padded with a minimum of .5 inch (12.7 mm) of closed-cell foam or equivalent padding, or shall be suspended in such a way as to prevent contact with the wearer during combat.  Similarly, parts of the inside of the helm that might come in contact with the wearer's neck or body should be padded.  All helms shall be equipped with a chin strap or equivalent means to prevent the helm from being dislodged or metal contacting the wearer's face during combat.   A "snug fit" is NOT equivalent.  The chin strap shall be, at a minimum, .5 inch (12.7 mm) in width and shall not be placed in the helm in a manner that could strangle the wearer.  Midrealm Rule: Minimum helmet padding and construction requirements must be present in the helm at the time of inspection every time the helm is inspected.  Padding that has degraded over time fails inspection, regardless of whether it was legal when first installed in the helmet.

After looking everything over in my helmet, I met the minimum requirements outlined, but to be honest, I wasn't as confident in the padding as I should be.  It was then that I remembered that I have an unused Team Wendy Search and Rescue Helmet with their upgraded Epic Helmet lining pads (which can be purchased separately from the helmet for approximately $80 online: https://www.teamwendy.com/products/aftermarket-systems/liner-systems/epic-combat-helmet-liner-system for more information). As I no longer use this helmet for work anymore and it was sitting around in practically brand new condition, I pulled the padding from it and went to work. 

Using the Team Wendy padding as my base, I was able to get a better fitment out of the helmet, bring it down slightly more onto my head, and nest my whole head further back in the helmet.  It took me several times of placing padding (I use duct tape temporarily, then used adhesive velcro strips once placement was determined) and trying it on, to figure out the whole comfort level.  If you aren't confident in your ability to do this, most Marshall's, Knights or experienced fighters should be able to help you pad your helmet.  This is not something to skimp on as you only have one head and traumatic brain injuries are nothing to play around with.  If anyone recommends blue camp pad foam, run away and find help elsewhere. There are several videos available on Youtube which better discuss helmet padding, so I'm not going to dive in that, but rather just capture what mine looks like below: 

Team Wendy padding in the helmet with a few spots of added EVA foam for additional comfort.

Base padding (Green) shows it is 1/2 inch thick.  This Ended up with an additional 1/8 inch thick brow band and then my historical look helmet liner sewn in on top of it.

Sides of the brow, again meets requirements.

The padding along the temple/cheekbone area is thicker at over 5/8 inch thick

Padding at the nape of my neck got a base of 1/2 inch closed-cell EVA foam, then another 1/4 inch Team Wendy pad over top of it (not pictured in this measurement).


While it may not be easy to tell from pictures, measurements of the padding, along with putting the helmet on, shaking your head and pressing on it in various directions can help you find spots that may be too tight, which will cause tension headaches, spots that may be too loose and cause contact with the metal which we do NOT want.  With my visor on you can see that there is space between my nose and face and that of the metal bars.  In my case, the padding alone pretty much holds it in place when press along the front of the face grill so that nothing touches metal.  


Although you can't see my eyes in this selfie, the placement of the helmet gives me good visuals of what is in front of me, with minimal to no sacrifice of vision (it is only a little harder in my klappvisor face plate).  

This padding upgrade exceeds the minimum requirements, which is what I like to strive for, but it also makes me confident in my own personal safety.  Some individuals choose to wear slightly larger helmets to add in additional padding to keep their noggin safe and I personally applaud them for this.  After all my padding was in place, I stitched my historical looking liner (made from thin wool and a layer of linen) back in place inside my helmet.  The very crown of my liner is open and allows for viewing and measurement of my padding if needed by any marshall's during inspection.  Even though I've done the measurements and triple checked everything, I will be bringing my helmet to my knight (a warrant marshall in the SCA) for him to double check my work and the overall fitment as well. It is vital to stay safe while having fun in our hobby!

Comments