Overcoming Pain and Injury


When I was 19, I tore my Iliotibial band in my right hip.  At the time, I was young, dumb and scared and didn't immediately go see a doctor.  I was serving a mission for the Mormon church in Denver, Colorado and was supposed to be there for 2 years.  This happened 4 months in, and I didn't want to disappoint my family and come home early (sounds stupid, but this was a big deal for me). Long story short, I came home unable to walk, and had to have extensive medical treatment to regain some mobility in my hip and back.  As the years passed after this, I didn't work out, I neglected any appropriate diet and gained massive weight. 

Then 3 years ago, I found the SCA and fell in love with heavy combat.  I didn't think I could do it, and some days I still think this.  My mobility has improved and I have lost some weight although it has fluctuated after my recent job loss (I stress eat).  Now that I'm back to being employed full-time and have access to proper medical insurance and medical care, I'm attempting to improve upon my physicality but I've been having massive pain in my back for a long time.  Last year, before I left my last job, I was diagnosed with piriformis syndrome and told to stretch as often as possible, alleviate pressure and take anti-inflammatories.  I've been doing that but in the last few weeks it seems if I walk more than a hundred yards the inflammation happens and my sciatic nerve is pinched or at least something is creating a massively sharp pain that shoots up my back and down my right leg.   It is possible that something else is going on, so I've got an appointment with the doctor in a couple of weeks to find out. 

Why am I telling everyone this, because I needed to vent and also if you see me sit down or take a break from fighting I'm only trying to stay away from serious injury.  I'm still trying to work out, and fight, but I'm going to be taking breaks more often to relieve the pressure on my back and to make sure I'm not pushing too hard (I have a long history of ignoring pain and causing additional damage.)  Doctor said physical activity is good but to pay more attention to when I hurt and not push too hard.  I'm still working out, although I've shifted from weightlifting to working more on mobility and range of motion exercises at this time.

Recent posts on social media have reminded me that I don't have to be a super athlete to be a fighter.  My knight reminds me that I can continually improve and that my pace may be slower than others, but I'm still making forward movement down the path I chose.  Sadly, I can't make it to evening practices due to scheduling conflicts.  I have to be home to watch my kids while my wife works hard on night shift to help support our family.  I also can't always attend more than one event per month as finances have been tight and I don't see that changing anytime soon.  Despite these challenges, I'm grateful for those who push me to be better.  I'm grateful for those who take time to train with me, whether that be at the baronial practices which I can sometimes make, or at events via pick-up fights. Every time I am able to put on armor is a reminder that I can travel down the same paths as the men and women in the chivalry who have inspired me.  I don't have to be the strongest or the fastest.  I can go at my pace and someday I hope to wear a white belt.  I hope to look my knight, Duke Cellach, in the eyes and finally be able to call him brother.

For those that have supported me on this journey, thank you. I appreciate your patience and kindness. To my wife, who supports me in this endeavor more than anyone else, I love you.  If it were not for her kindness and generosity to give me the time, opportunity and encouragement to attempt this path, I would not be here.  Her hard work inspires me more than I'll ever admit. I hope to continue to lose weight and hopefully be back pain free in the future.  Till then, I will monitor my body and make sure that I'm not killing myself in the process.

#blessedisalifeinharness #dracoinvictus #midrealmstrong

Comments