Torstein Travels to Candlemas XXXI



04 February 2019

We traveled early in the morning, sailing through dense fog for a long time.  His Grace Cellach guided us safely through the unearthly gloom, as my brother in arms, Otto Von Baden rested, preparing himself for the physicality to come. Our arrival occurred prior to the sun rising, but already many great warriors could be seen gathering.  We greeted our hosts and announced our intentions of participating in the armored combat tourney.  


It wasn’t long before I began strapping on my armor and preparing myself for my fights to come.  It had been over 3 months since I had last fought at the 100 Minutes War in the East Kingdom.  I knew that getting back into the rush of battle would be a challenge.  My goal for the day was to do my best, and to control myself throughout my fights.  No clumsy flailing, using shield to block and attempting to gain clean strikes with my hand axe.  As the fighting commenced, I felt calm and collected.  No fear, no anxiety, just peace.  I would step forward and meet my opponent in glorious combat.  No matter the outcome I would walk away with my head held high knowing that I have come far and that this is just another step on my path.  My first fight, I stepped forward, dropped my shield opening my head, to bait my opponent and immediately heard clank as their sword connected with my helmet.  I was too slow.  Regroup, next fight, drew a polearm fighter.  In the enclosed space I had advantage, I closed distance thought I had control of the haft with my shield when I felt the butt spike of the pole drop into my hip socket as they adjusted with a rotation throwing me a bit.  Another learning experience, still my breathing was under control, I was beginning to feel more in time, finding my rhythm.  As the fights went by, I found myself making mistakes, not throwing shots hard enough, allowing the axe head to twist enough that the landing shot wasn’t good enough.  My blocks were getting better and during one of my fights I was able to use the butt spike of my axe to take my opponents face.  A win and also a lesson, there is more than one way to use the axe.  

It didn’t take long before my fights were over, and I was out of the tournament.  My right leg had taken much punishment, as my leg armor had slid down during fighting, and my right leg took 4 shots from 4 different fighters.  I watched as friends continued their fights, their prowess showing their hard work.  His Grace Cellach showed out well, but even he found himself beat by another.  The caliber of fighters in attendance was high, and those fighting had come to prove themselves through every ounce of skill and sweat laid out in the lists.  It was a spectacle to behold. 
As the day waned, we shared food and drink with comrades, supping at a fine inn called the Oriental Wok.  It was a night of marvelous food and belly laughs.  Stories were told, and many laughs turned to snorts and gasps for air.  Surrounded by those that have become my family, I remember why I fight.  These people have taken me and through patience and love, taught me a skillset.  Continually working with me through my own trials and tribulations.  I am far from the skill level of the opponents I fought, but I am my only true opponent.  Each day I must conquer myself and like a smith forges a sword, I must temper and hone myself, working to improve my life.  This is all I can do. 

Each time I travel, I find myself in awe of the companionship I find, the stories I experience feel like being parts of legends of old, like Tyr and the great wolf Fenrir, or Thor wrestling the great serpent, these experiences are almost surreal.  My body aches today, from the battles I fought, but my heart beats strong in my chest with the love I have for this adventure and those that are kind enough to call me friend.  May Odin watch over them all and should they pass from this realm, I know that someday I will join them in the hall of the Allfather where we shall drink and feast together again!

-Tórstein

Comments